Goldmann vs Adorno

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Tue, 20 May 2003 13:02:33 -0400

I'm not too sure that Habermas is really "rebelling."  In _Philosophical
Discourse of Modernity_ he seems to identify H and A's argument in
_Dialectic of Enlightenment_ with Nietzche's radical critique of reason.
 Rather than going all the way down Nietzche's road, however, he asserts
that Adorno maintained that the "performative contradiction" inherent in
questioning reason even while using it to question reason was the place
the social critic was supposed to maintain.  Habermas gets a little
fuzzy to me from this point -- he seems to be saying that there is a
"way back" out of the radical critique offered by the DE, and that H and
A were mistaken in their pursuit of a purist notion of reason.  He
argues that instrumental reason isn't a ubiquitous thing anymore because
the rise of specialized knowledge has brought with it the rise of
discreet "logics" that don't all necessarily serve the same purpose, and
that there's never any such thing as "pure" reason.

It seems to me that these discreet logics still all serve the purposes
of instrumental reason, and that the idea of "no pure reason" (which
Habermas claimed Marx accepted uncritically) needs to be developed
further.  I tend toward the idea that nature reasons through humanity.
 Nature isn't then just conceptualized, but conceptualizes itself
through reasoning agents -- as a result, we can reject the idea of a
"pure reason."  This may violate Adorno's principle of non-identity, but
not necessarily.  A conceptualization of a thing is still separate from
the thing itself, even if the thing itself produces the
conceptualization.  Conceptualization/nature can be understood in terms
of self-generating dialectic, then.

Jim