Goldmann vs Adorno

Ralph Dumain rdumain at igc.org
Tue, 20 May 2003 10:39:04 -0400

My newest post on Goldmann's book gets more into what I find troubling
about Goldmann's argument.  I suppose everyone's viscera reacts
differently.  My problem here is not with the alleged bloodlessness of
epistemological and ontological foundations, but the reverse: hosw they can
tangibly muck up our understanding of the world.

Goldmann, piggybacking on Hegel and early Lukacs, finds his way out of the
dichotomy various characterized as mechanist-idealist, Kantian, dualist,
via the fundamental notions of totality, subject-object identity, and the
collective subject.  It's a neat package, I admit, but I think it's inadequate.

Pending a detailed study, I contest the notion that the essence of what the
Frankfurters have to offer is the dialectic of enlightenment.  I suspect
that just the reverse is true, that maybe this work should be put at the
bottom and not at the top.  The fact that it is most influential arouses my
greatest suspicions.  But time will tell.  If it is Habermas' starting
point, so much the better for Habermas to want to contradict it.  But what
are the implications of being held hostage to the way one was raised even
while rebelling against it?