Goldmann vs Adorno

matthew piscioneri mpiscioneri at hotmail.com
Tue, 20 May 2003 09:10:16 +0000

Ralph,

thanks for this extraordinary post. To be honest with you I find the
discussion you have reported *banal* (as you characterize it) because it is
all too difficult to understand - in a real visceral (sic) - sense. In other
words, aren't the concepts here so laden with the consciousness of german
Idealism to lack any sort of substantive rhetorical power?

I was thinking about this recently. Did Marx stir the proletariat on the
basis of revealing the new material categories of being/history? if he did
then the proles then were a lot smarter than I am now. Did revolutionary
agents generate philosophy as a material force with which to move the masses
by explicating the theory of value? I am in admiration if they did.

>I find this inadequate.  This cannot be as banal as it looks, can it?

My suspicion is that elements of the Frankfurt school's deviation from
Marxist dogma was an advance. But I consider their greatest advantage lay in
the development of the ir dialectic of enlightenment thesis. again, I
consider engagement with this thesis to be the starting point of any
critical theory of society. It is - pertinently - Habermas's starting point.
Anyway I know you have read Habermas's _Theory and Practice_ so you are au
fait with Habermas's position on the relationship between theory and
practice which I would go far to say permeates the entire development of his
critical theory. so much so that Habermas's programme of discourse ethics
IMO is intended as an alternative vehicle for realizing the normative
justification for some sort of critical social programme. I may be way off
here. Because in _MCCA_ JH clearlydistinguishes between philosophy
(morality/ethics) and the production of critical social theory. This
division of labour is frustrating I believe.

Anyway, thanks for the rich post.

MattP.

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. Get larger attachments -
send/receive up to 2MB attachments (up to 100 percent more per e-mail). Go
to  http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au