FS & Marxism

matthew piscioneri mpiscioneri at hotmail.com
Sat, 03 May 2003 12:49:50 +0000

James,

but Western Marxism is already part of the historical discourse of Critical
Theory. So can the present discourse retrospectively decree its irrelevance?
Maybe it's a good thing to dispense with history altogether. Partly my
response to Habermas's essay on post-liberation Iraq is that we have to live
in the moment of history. it's a scarey predicament. But then it has been a
scarey couple of months. life is scarey. As a species we are so so scared of
the present mainly because of its existential ramifications. This is mainly
why past and future orientated delusions are so powerful, I suppose.
Cultural/historical identity construction + Hire/purchase, mortgages and
life in the hereafter loom large as pretty good delusions in the majority
consciousness. damned majorities. Nietzsche &/or the mediocrity of
democracy?

>I tend to agree with Ralph that the category "western Marxism" may be too
>broad to be meaningful,
----------
Yes. I was hoping for further illumination along these lines. All this for
me is to try and make certain/sense of Habermas's claims in the _TCA_ that
H. & A's critique of instrumental reason had - in actual terms - interrupted
the tradition of Critical theory

>but I don't think your particular questions RE: H and A's Marxism vs.
>Habermas' Marxism are at all irrelevant.  Many writers I've seen contrast H
>and A's Marxism with the Marxism of the Internationals, or with Marxism as
>defined by other specific figures. It seems like specifically identifing
>the configuration of Marxism that H and A were in dialog with is the route
>to take.

This is in part an empirical question asked of the list. I am hoping there
are subscribers to this List who may be able to shed light on this aspect of
Critical Theory's history.

MattP.

Hotmail now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/hotmail_mobile.asp