FS & Marxism

matthew piscioneri mpiscioneri at hotmail.com
Thu, 01 May 2003 00:57:07 +0000

Dear List,

I am trying to sort out what was C.T's self-understanding of its relation to
Western Marxism. In particular, I am looking for perspectives on Habermas's
reconstruction of C.T & Marxism both in the 1960s and in the 1970s.

For eg., in _KHI_ is Habermas intention to reconstruct BOTH C.T and/or
Western Marxism (is historical materialism a more accurate term?)? Does
Habermas see his programme to move beyond the aporia of H. & A's critique of
instrumental reason to be applicable to western marxism? in other words,
does JH see this more general tradition to have been interrupted by their
critique of instrumental reason also (the dialectical inversion of critical
reason)? I guess what I am struggling with is understanding whether JH
*primarily* is working out of the tradition of C.T, or within the tradition
of western marxism. If so both, how are we to understand late-C.T's
relationship to western marxism.

Any contributions VERY welcome.

Regards,

MattP

Hotmail now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/hotmail_mobile.asp